- Natural disasters: hurricanes, flooding, earthquakes
- Industrial hazards: nuclear accidents, etc
- Transport accidents: road, maritime, air and rail
- Terror threats and terrorism
- Disaster medicine and humanitarian issues
- Contingency management, disaster planning, vulnerability assessment and resilience evaluation
- Multidisciplinary approaches (e.g. integrated public alert and warning systems)
- Visualisation, simulation, optimisation, intelligent agents
- Emergency preparedness and planning
- Incident command systems
- Emergency communications
- Educational aspects (e.g. exercise-based training)
- Contingency planning, infrastructure dependence
- Conflict resolution, evacuation and logistics
- Knowledge elicitation, hazard and threat identification
More on this journal...
The purpose of the IJEM is to provide a forum where researchers, planners, managers, response personnel and other interested parties can exchange knowledge and information on the use of innovative methods and technologies to improve the ability to avoid, mitigate, respond to, and recover from natural and technological disasters. IJEM has emerged from The International Emergency Management Society (TIEMS).
Professionals, academics, researchers and policy makers, planners and response personnel.Contents
Scholarly articles, case studies, novel practical techniques, review articles, educational concepts, summaries of technical reports, book reviews, and announcements (events, conferences, and positions). IJEM encourages the organisation of special issues devoted to important topics falling within the scope of the journal.
More on permissions
IJEM is indexed in:
IJEM is listed in:
- Wybo, Jean-Luc, Mines PARISTECH, France
Editor in Chief
- Therrien, Marie-Christine, Ecole Nationale d’Administration Publique, Canada
- Dusserre, Gilles, Ecole des mines d'Als, France
Editorial Board Members
- Al Momani, Naill M., Rabdan Academy, United Arab Emirates
- Boin, Arjen, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Boustras, George, European University Cyprus, Cyprus
- Bynander, Fredrik, Swedish Defence University, Sweden
- Casal, Joaquim, Universitat Politcnica de Catalunya - UPC, Spain
- Chhetri, Meen B. Poudyal, Nepal Center for Disaster Management (NCDM), Nepal and Queensland University of Technology (QUT), Australia
- Dowell, John, University College London, UK
- Duzgun, Sebnem, Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- Eid, Mohamed, Commisariat lEnergie Atomique, France
- Filjar, Renato, University of Rijeka, Croatia
- Foussard, Christian, IFP Training, United Arab Emirates
- Guay, Fanny, DBI Danish Institute of Fire and Security Technology, Denmark
- Guosheng, Qu, The International Emergency Management Society (TIEMS), Belgium and National Earthquake Response Support Service (NERSS), China
- Kelly, Charles, Independent Consultant, USA
- Kowalski-Trakofler, Kathleen M., USA
- Lagadec, Patrick, Ecole Polytechnique, France
- Makri, Rodoula, National Technical University of Athens, Greece
- Mendonça, David, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA
- Mitropetros, Konstantinos, DECHEMA e.V. and European Process Safety Centre, Germany
- Rake, Eivind L., Fire Department of South Rogaland, Sandnes/Brannvesenet Sr-Rogaland IKS, Norway
- Robertson, Thomas V., TIEMS USA, USA
- Rosmuller, Nils, Institute of Physical Safety (IFV), Netherlands
- Samberg, Andre, TIEMS IPC, Finland
- Taylor, Carl W., Fraser Institute for Health and Risk Analytics, USA
- Trim, Peter, Birkbeck, University of London, UK
- Zupka, Dusan, University of Geneva, Switzerland
A few essentials for publishing in this journal
- Submitted articles should not have been previously published or be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Conference papers may only be submitted if the paper has been completely re-written (more details available here) and the author has cleared any necessary permissions with the copyright owner if it has been previously copyrighted.
- All our articles go through a double-blind review process.
- All authors must declare they have read and agreed to the content of the submitted article. A full statement of our Ethical Guidelines for Authors (PDF) is available.
- There are no charges for publishing with Inderscience, unless you require your article to be Open Access (OA). You can find more information on
All articles for this journal must be submitted using our online submissions system.
Read our preparing and submitting articles page.