International Journal of Web Based Communities
- Executive Editor
- Dr. Piet Kommers
- ISSN online
- ISSN print
- 4 issues per year
IJWBC offers research outcomes and state-of-the-art recommendations to practitioners - communication managers, public information service officers, webmasters and those responsible for online communities and social media policies. It publishes integrated scientific results so that further research may be targeted quicker and easier. Web-based communities and social media may be categorised as corporate, scientific, social and educational. Based on technological/societal trends, they are in permanent evolution and need constant critical reflection. Sociology, education, communication and philosophy issues are their main disciplines.
Topics covered include
- Social networking: social bookmarking/sociometrics
- Social media
- Social awareness, identity, sense of community
- Group dynamics, self-organisation
- Face-to-face versus mediated communication
- Impact on learning, working, gaming, marketing, service industry
- Multi-channelling, accessibility, usability
- Gender/culture fairness
- Ubiquitous-, mobile-, virtual- , vicarious presence
- User-generated content, sharing, viral marketing
IJWBC aims at bringing together new vital understanding of WWW communities and what new initiatives mean. Each new perspective is potentially a catalyst for finding new architectures. National and regionally-oriented communities may soon be relegated to a subordinate position compared to interest-oriented communities. Multiculturalism, critical thinking, expressing aesthetic aspects of our identity, and finding sparring partners for sharpening our ideologies, are all processes that need the new communication infrastructures.
The targeted audience are scientists and members and moderators of WWW communities who feel responsible for optimising their quality and effect.
IJWBC publishes original papers, review papers, technical reports, case studies, conference reports, management reports, book reviews, notes, commentaries, and news on forthcoming scientific events.
IJWBC is indexed in:
- Scopus (Elsevier)
- Compendex [formerly Ei] (Elsevier)
- Academic OneFile (Gale)
- ACM Digital Library
- Asian Digital Library
- cnpLINKer (CNPIEC)
- DBLP Computer Science Bibliography
- Ergonomics Abstracts - Ergo-Abs
- Francis (INIST-CNRS)
- Business Collection (Gale)
- General OneFile (Gale)
- Google Scholar
- Info Trac (Gale)
- Inspec (Institution of Engineering and Technology)
- io-port (FIZ Karlsruhe)
- ProQuest Advanced Technologies Database with Aerospace
IJWBC is listed in:More journal lists/directories...
- Australian Business Deans Council Journal Rankings List
- The BFI lists
- Cabell's Directory of Publishing Opportunities
- UGC (University Grants Commission)
- Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA)
- Index of Information Systems Journals (Deakin University)
- Norwegian Register for Scientific Journals, Series and Publishers
- Kommers, Piet, Emeritus University of Twente, Netherlands
- Isaías, Pedro, Open University of Portugal, Portugal
- Simmerling, Margriet, Helix5, Netherlands
Editorial Board Members
- Aliev, Rafik, Azerbaijan State Oil Academy, Azerbaijan
- Arafeh, Labib, Al-Quds University, Israel
- Baniulis, Kazys, Kauno Technologijos Universitetas, Lithuania
- Bell, Frances, University of Salford, UK
- Blom, Jan, Nokia Research Centre, Finland
- Bouras, Christos, University of Patras, Greece
- Bowerman, Chris, University of Sunderland, UK
- Bruckman, Amy, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- Bystrov, Dmitry, Tashkent State Technical University, Uzbekistan
- Cairncross, Sandra, Napier University, UK
- Chee, Yam San, National Institute of Education, Singapore
- Cronje, Johannes, Cape Peninsula University of Technology (CPUT), South Africa
- Cuthell, John P., E-learning consultant, UK
- Deryakulu, Deniz, Ankara Üniversity, Turkey
- Devedzic, Vladan, University of Belgrade, Serbia
- Frick, Jan, University of Stavanger, Norway
- Hartley, Roger, University of Leeds, UK
- Hatzilygeroudis, Ioannis, University of Patras, Greece
- Henderson, Lyn, James Cook University, Australia
- Huai, Heling, , Netherlands
- Hunter, Lawrie, Kochi University of Technology, Japan
- Issa, Tomayess, Curtin University, Australia
- Jaimes, Alejandro (Alex), Fuji Xerox Co. Ltd., Japan
- Kinshuk, , Athabasca University, Canada
- Knahl, Martin Hans, University of Applied Sciences Furtwangen, Germany
- Kovatcheva, Eugenia, University, St. Kliment Ohridski, Bulgaria
- Krcmar, Helmut, Technische Universität München, Germany
- Lattemann, Christoph, Jacobs University Bremen, Germany
- Law, Nancy, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
- Lee, Chien Sing, Multimedia University, Malaysia
- Lee, Fong-Lok, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
- Leimeister, Jan Marco, TUM - Technische Universität München, Germany
- Looi, Chee-Kit, National Institute of Education, Singapore
- Madrazo, Leandro, Universitat Ramon Llull, Spain
- Malaka, Rainer, University of Bremen, Germany
- McKay, Elspeth, RMIT University, Australia
- McNaught, Carmel, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong SAR, China
- Nikolova, Iliana, Faculty of Mathematics and Informatics, Bulgaria
- O'Hagan, Christopher, University of Derby, UK
- Obukhova, Irina G., UNESCO Institute for Information, Russian Federation
- Palade, Vasile, Coventry University, UK
- Pilkington, Rachel, University of Birmingham, UK
- Pilv, Mihkel, MIKSIKE, Estonia
- Pingali, Gopal, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, USA
- Preece, Jennifer, University of Maryland, USA
- Sampson, Demetrios G., University of Piraeus, Greece
- Santos, Olga C., UNED, Spain
- Serdyukov, Peter, National University, USA
- Smith, Alan, University of Southern Queensland, Australia
- Stacey, Elizabeth, Deakin University, Australia
- Stoyanov, Slavi, Open University Netherlands, Netherlands
- Sutinen, Erkki, University of Joensuu, Finland
- Terao, Yuko, Hyogo University of Teacher Education, Japan
- Uden, Lorna, Staffordshire University, UK
- Ueno, Maomi, The University of Electro-Communications, Japan
- Uskov, Vladimir, Bradley University, USA
- Wilson, Henrietta, University of South Africa (Unisa), South Africa
- Zelenda, Stanislav, Charles University, Czech Republic
A few essentials for publishing in this journal
- Submitted articles should not have been previously published or be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Conference papers may only be submitted if the paper has been completely re-written (more details available here) and the author has cleared any necessary permissions with the copyright owner if it has been previously copyrighted.
- Briefs and research notes are not published in this journal.
- All our articles go through a double-blind review process.
- All authors must declare they have read and agreed to the content of the submitted article. A full statement of our Ethical Guidelines for Authors (PDF) is available.
- There are no charges for publishing with Inderscience, unless you require your article to be Open Access (OA). You can find more information on OA here.
- All articles for this journal must be submitted using our online submissions system.
- Submit here.
Keep your friends close
14 November, 2018
Online social networks, such as the well-known Facebook, allow users to form connections with each other quickly and easily. A user might invite another to become their "friend", "like" a page they have created on the system, or join a group that forms a community within the overarching community. Of course, it is implicit that one should only "friend" people one knows. But, there are millions if not billions of connections where a user may not be even a passing acquaintance in the offline world and yet well connected to another person in the online [...]More details...
Fake news and fake reviews
19 December, 2018
Consumers have the opportunity to express their views about the products and services they use in ways that were simply not technologically possible a decade ago. Social media and social networks allow them to opine wildly to fellow users and also directly and in public to the companies that provide those products and services [...]More details...