Calls for papers
International Journal of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management
Special Issue on: "Entrepreneurial Behaviour in Family Businesses"
Timo Pihkala and Markku Ikävalko, Lappeenranta University of Technology, Finland
Sascha Kraus, Vienna University of Economics & Business Administration, Austria
The role of family businesses is gaining importance because of their overall impact on society in generating economic wealth. However, the value creation perspective has been largely lacking from the family business research. The aim of this special issue is therefore to target the dynamic side of the family businesses.
Some recent theoretical and conceptual developments within the family business research support the view that it could be possible to advance knowledge on the entrepreneurial processes within family businesses. From the point of view of long-term survival, the family forms a special resource in the company, the “familyness” (Habbershon & Williams, 1999). As an ongoing relationship, the family forms an arena for carrying over the inherent and hidden knowledge of the business and its operations. The notions on familyness and portfolio entrepreneurship, among others, provide some guidance towards a more dynamic perspective on the behaviour and management of family businesses. Families and individual family members may have different roles in regard to the business – from investors to important actors.
Furthermore, the progress taking place in the theory of psychological ownership seems promising in understanding the process of opportunity recognition, innovation, growth and value creation. Family businesses are dynamic systems filled with economic and non-economic goals both at individual and collective levels. All this calls for new perspectives and ideas in theory development and empirical research. Therefore the specific purpose of this special issue is to encourage, develop and publish excellent research that integrates dynamic aspects of family businesses with regards to entrepreneurial behavior and value creation.Subject Coverage
Potential topics/questions suitable for review articles include but are not limited are:
- Conceptual understanding of entrepreneurial family business
- Creation of value and growth of family businesses
- Opportunity recognition and innovation within family businesses
- Familyness as a ground for innovation and value creation
- Value creation perspectives in family business management
- Allocation and development of resources in family-owned businesses portfolio
- Psychological ownership and opportunism within family businesses
- Entrepreneurship embedded in ownership discontinuities in family businesses
- Family business life cycles and entrepreneurial behavior
- Management and control of differentiating goals in family businesses
Notes for Prospective Authors
Submitted papers should not have been previously published nor be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere
All papers are refereed through a peer review process. A guide for authors, sample copies and other relevant information for submitting papers are available on the Author Guidelines page
Paper Submission Deadline: 15 March, 2008