Calls for papers
International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing
Special Issue on: "Advances in Sport Tourism Marketing & Management"
Professor Evangelos Christou, Alexander Technological Institute of Thessaloniki, Greece
Dr. Marianna Sigala, University of the Aegean, Greece
Sport tourism is at the heart of global tourism's growth and, as the fastest growing sector in the international travel and tourism industry, accounted in 2009 for an astonishing US$700 billion of the international tourism market. The economies of cities, regions and entire countries (in the case of mega sport events like the Olympic Games) are ever more dependent on creating synergies between sport and tourism to jump-start economic and socio-economic development and change.
Participants and visitors in sport tourism events appear to be higher spending and stay longer than other tourist segments, are of higher calibre and often stimulate other tourism (i.e. tourism multiplier paradigm). Their direct benefit to a destination is revenues; their indirect benefit has been found to be long-term tourism development and spread of favourable word of mouth. In addition, media exposure of sport tourism destinations tends to be of significant importance in creating and maintaining a positive image of the destination.
This special issue invites manuscripts investigating the management and marketing of sport tourism, exploring the future of sport tourism destinations, and identifying sports tourism's economic, managerial, developmental, socio-cultural, and political impacts. Qualitative, quantitative, and conceptual papers are all encouraged; manuscripts should be forward-looking in nature, and should aim to shed light on not only the concepts themselves, but also on the specific best practices and applications that may exist in marketing and management of sport tourism.Subject Coverage
Submissions are welcome from a broad range of topics which explore marketing and management advances in sport tourism, including, but not limited to:
- Management of sport tourism destinations
- Positioning for sport tourism destinations
- Promotion of sport tourism destinations
- Market segmentation for sport tourism
- New product development in sport tourism
- Image and branding of sport events and tourism destinations
- Challenges to sport tourism marketing and management
- Destination management systems for sport tourism
- Social media in sport tourism
- Spectator motivations
- Sponsorship for sport events
- Challenges to growth and development for sport tourism
- Service quality issues in sport tourism
- Marketing sport tourism: creating synergies between sport and destination
- Sustainable development at sport tourism destinations
- Gastronomy and wine in sport tourism marketing
- Cultural tourism and sport tourism
- Information and communication technologies for sport tourism marketing and management
Notes for Prospective Authors
Submitted papers should not have been previously published nor be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere. (N.B. Conference papers may only be submitted if the paper was not originally copyrighted and if it has been completely re-written).
All papers are refereed through a peer review process. A guide for authors, sample copies and other relevant information for submitting papers are available on the Author Guidelines page
Deadline for submission: 30 November 2012