Calls for papers
International Journal of Bio-Inspired Computation
Special Issue on: "New Challenges in Bio-inspired Algorithms in Complex and Distributed Problems"
Lars Braubach, University of Hamburg, Germany
Costin Badica, University of Craiova, Romania
Bio-inspired algorithms and methods – from computational intelligence techniques as swarm or evolutionary algorithms to other techniques based on principles or models of biological systems – are currently a hot topic in wide number of research areas. The problems related to the representation and practical application of these kinds of algorithms provide new and interesting solutions in traditionally complex domains.
Distributed computing develops methods and technology to build systems that are composed of collaborating components. The domains and problems traditionally handled by distributed computing allow us to look for new challenges in bio-inspired computation approaches.
This special issue welcomes submissions of original papers introducing research results in all aspects covering the roles of knowledge and intelligence in distributed systems, ranging from concepts and theoretical developments to advanced technologies and innovative applications. The key topic will be based on practical and real world utilisation of bio-inspired methods, techniques and algorithms in previous types of systems and domains.
Paper acceptance and publication will be judged on the basis of quality, relevance to the issue’s themes, clarity of presentation, originality, and accuracy of results and proposed solutions.
The issue will carry revised and substantially extended versions of selected papers presented at the 8th International Symposium on Intelligent Distributed Computing (IDC'2014) and its joint workshops, but we also strongly encourage researchers unable to participate in the conference to submit articles for this call.Subject Coverage
Suitable topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Hybrid systems involving software agents and human actors
- Bio-inspired integration of data, information and processes
- Autonomic, adaptive and self-organised distributed computing
- Intelligent service-oriented distributed systems
- Self-organising and adaptive distributed systems
- Emerging behaviours in complex distributed systems
- Knowledge integration and fusion from distributed sources
- Data mining and knowledge discovery in distributed settings based on bio-inspired methods
- Intelligent distributed problem solving and decision making
- Bio-inspired computation in complex and real applications (videogames, e-business/e-commerce, e-learning, e-health, e-science, e-government, crisis management, etc.)
- Swarm intelligence and evolutionary computation in distributed and intelligent applications
- Bio-inspired computation for unmanned systems
- Bio-inspired computation for social-based knowledge
- Forecasting through complex system models and bio-inspired models
Notes for Prospective Authors
Submitted papers should not have been previously published nor be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere. (N.B. Conference papers may only be submitted if the paper has been completely re-written and if appropriate written permissions have been obtained from any copyright holders of the original paper).
All papers are refereed through a peer review process.
All papers must be submitted online. To submit a paper, please read our Submitting articles page.
Submission of papers: 30 November, 2014