Special Issue on: "Advances in Vehicular and Underwater Communication Networks"
Sabu M. Thampi, Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management - Kerala (IIITM-K), India
Joel Rodrigues, University of Beira Interior, Portugal
Al-Sakib Khan Pathan, International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM), Malaysia
Recently, vehicular communication systems have attracted much attention, fueled largely by growing interest in intelligent transportation systems. These systems are considered for addressing critical issues such improving passenger safety and reducing traffic congestion on the road, by integrating information and communication technologies into the transportation infrastructure and also the vehicles themselves. Designing high-performance, scalable, robust and secure vehicular networking technology presents an extraordinary challenge to the wireless research community.
The past three decades have seen growing interest in underwater acoustic communication networks. These networks play a key role in military and commercial applications. Due to the unique characteristics of the underwater environment, however, existing communication and networking solutions developed for terrestrial wireless networks cannot be applied directly to advancing underwater communications and networks. Hence, the design and practical deployment of such networks faces several special challenges.
This special issue aims to collect high-quality research articles with a solid background in both theoretical and practical aspects of vehicular and underwater communication networks. The issue will carry revised and substantially extended versions of selected papers presented at the Third International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI-2014; 24-27 September, 2014, Delhi, India). However, we also strongly encourage researchers unable to participate in the conference to submit articles for this call.
Suitable topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Vehicular networks
- Channel models for V2V And V2I communications
- Mobility modelling and simulation
- VANET capacity analysis and modelling
- Efficient MAC, network and transport layer protocol design
- Power control and scalability issues
- Multi-channel organisation and operation
- Security issues and countermeasures
- Privacy issues
- Network management
- Information propagation and data dissemination
- QoS and cross-layer optimisation
- Integration with other networking technologies
- Underwater communication networks
- Application-oriented design of underwater acoustic sensor networks
- Design and development of energy-efficient protocols and algorithms
- Efficient signal processing algorithms for underwater communications
- Modelling, simulation and test beds for underwater systems and platforms
- Network coverage and node placement
- PHY layer modem design and experimental results
- Protocol stack design for underwater networks
- Reliable and energy-efficient protocol design
- Software-defined radio-based design of modems for underwater applications
- Synchronisation and localisation for underwater communications
- Techniques for efficient underwater communications
- Underwater acoustic sensor networks
- Underwater communication channels: modelling and analysis
- Underwater network architectures
- Underwater communication network security
Notes for Prospective Authors
Submitted papers should not have been previously published nor be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere. (N.B. Conference papers may only be submitted if the paper has been completely re-written and if appropriate written permissions have been obtained from any copyright holders of the original paper).
All papers are refereed through a peer review process.
All papers must be submitted online. To submit a paper, please read our Submitting articles page.
Paper submission: 20 April, 2015
Decision notification: 30 June, 2015
Revised paper submission: 15 September, 2015
Final paper submission: 15 November, 2015