Calls for papers
European Journal of Cross-Cultural Competence and Management
Special Issue on: "Management of Culture and Cultural Change in Healthcare Organisations"
S. Robert Hernandez and Richard M. Shewchuk, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Organisational culture plays a vital role in influencing the performance of healthcare organisations. Various actions and symbols define and reinforce the cultural beliefs and values that are associated with organisational performance.
The cultures of highly effective organisations tend to promote employee emotional well-being, morale, productivity and commitment. Conversely, the cultures in other, less-effective organisations often engender just the opposite. Conceptual and empirical work is needed to understand how cultural phenomena influence quality and effectiveness in healthcare organisations, broadly defined.Subject Coverage
Examples of questions that could be addressed include, but are not limited to:
- What changes have occurred in the values and assumptions of healthcare providers and organisations in Eastern Europe as their economic systems have evolved towards market-driven economies?
- How do healthcare organisations adapt to the cultural changes brought about by the enforcement of EU human resource management rules that contradict traditional organisational practices within their countries?
- To what extent can management develop interventions to reinforce a “safety culture” when that culture may clash with the current culture in today’s complex healthcare delivery systems?
- Can healthcare organisations develop a safety culture which has an atmosphere of mutual trust, in which members talk freely about safety problems without fear of blame or punishment, while operating under Red Rules, i.e. rules that cannot be broken without serious disciplinary action?
- Can healthcare organisations develop cultures within the overall context of the communities in which they are embedded while also reinforcing universal values such as patient safety, quality of care, efficient service delivery and equitable access to care?
- What effect does significant organisational change such as downsizing, institutional mergers or consolidations have on the culture and performance of healthcare organisations?
Notes for Prospective Authors
Submitted papers should not have been previously published nor be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere. (N.B. Conference papers may only be submitted if the paper was not originally copyrighted and if it has been completely re-written).
All papers are refereed through a peer review process. A guide for authors, sample copies and other relevant information for submitting papers are available on the Author Guidelines page
Submission deadline: 30 July, 2012 (extended)