Journal of Design Research
- Editor in Chief
- Prof. Jouke Verlinden
- ISSN online
- ISSN print
- 4 issues per year
- CiteScore 1.1 (2021)
JDR is an interdisciplinary journal, emphasising human aspects as a central issue of design through integrative studies of social sciences and design disciplines. Originally published as an electronic journal publishing articles including multimedia applications and hence allowing visual knowledge transfer, it is now also available in print.
Topics covered include
- Expertise in design
- Design learning strategies and design pedagogy
- Design as a social process
- Gaming and simulation in design
- Designing user interfaces
- The role of visual techniques in the design process
- Design tools
- To bring together theories, models and actual products from related design areas, including engineering, architecture, industrial design and planning
- To emphasise human aspects as a central issue of design through integrative studies of social sciences and design disciplines
- To offer a platform for high-quality research, theory making, analysis, education, and practice
- To support the dialogue between practitioners and academics, avoiding a purely academic discussion on design science
- To highlight new developments in artifact design
Design is an interdisciplinary and integrative process constituting an intellectual field of thinking and research and a professional field of practice and applied research. Therefore, design research will play one of two roles: (1) the scientific study of the process and the content of design, and (2) the development of methods and tools to enhance the quality of design practice based on the body of knowledge developed by the scientific study. JDR provides knowledge in both areas and helps academics, researchers and professional designers working in the field of design and design engineering to disseminate information and to learn from each other's work.
JDR publishes original papers, review papers, case studies, conference reports, book reviews, notes, and commentaries. Special Issues devoted to important topics in design will occasionally be published.
JDR is indexed in:
- Scopus (Elsevier)
- Academic OneFile (Gale)
- cnpLINKer (CNPIEC)
- DAAI: Design and Applied Arts Index
- Expanded Academic ASAP (Gale)
- OneFile Business (Gale)
- General OneFile (Gale)
- Google Scholar
- Info Trac (Gale)
- Inspec (Institution of Engineering and Technology)
- ProQuest Advanced Technologies Database with Aerospace
JDR is listed in:More journal lists/directories...
Editor in Chief
- Verlinden, Jouke, University of Antwerp, Belgium
- Ludden, Geke D.S., University of Twente, Netherlands
- Rognoli, Valentina, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Wever, Renee, Linköping University, Sweden
Editorial Board Members
- Ahmadpour, Naseem, University of Sydney, Australia
- Amatullo, Mariana, Parsons School of Design, USA
- Bhamra, Tracy, Loughborough University , UK
- Boks, Casper, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Norway
- Christiaans, Henri, Ulsan National Institute of Science and Technology (UNIST), South Korea
- de Carvalho, Marly Monteiro, University of São Paulo, Brazil
- Evans, Martyn, Manchester Metropolitan University, UK
- Friedman, Ken, Tongji University, China
- Gaziulusoy, Idil, Aalto University, Finland
- Lindemann, Udo, Technical University of Munich, Germany
- Love, Terence, Design Out Crime and CPTED Centre, Australia
- Manzini, Ezio, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- McMahon, Chris, University of Bristol, UK
- Mellick Lopes, Abby, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- Mugge, Ruth, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
- Poldma, Tiiu, University of Montreal, Canada
- Sariyildiz, Sevil, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
- Sosa, Ricardo, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
- Subrahmanian, Eswran, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- Summers, Joshua D., The University of Texas at Dallas, USA
- Winschiers-Theophilus, Heike, Polytechnic of Namibia, Namibia
A few essentials for publishing in this journal
- Submitted articles should not have been previously published or be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Conference papers may only be submitted if the paper has been completely re-written (more details available here) and the author has cleared any necessary permissions with the copyright owner if it has been previously copyrighted.
- Briefs and research notes are not published in this journal.
- All our articles go through a double-blind review process.
- All authors must declare they have read and agreed to the content of the submitted article. A full statement of our Ethical Guidelines for Authors (PDF) is available.
- There are no charges for publishing with Inderscience, unless you require your article to be Open Access (OA). You can find more information on OA here.
- All articles for this journal must be submitted using our online submissions system.
- View Author guidelines.
Road trauma pack to benefit developing world
4 October, 2022
An innovative approach to design has helped with the development of an economically viable trauma-response pack for road-traffic accidents in the developing world. The "parachute design" approach has seen proof of principle demonstrated with the trauma pack designed specifically for Namibia. Researchers in Namibia working with colleagues in the UK provided details of the design and development in the Journal of Design Research [...]More details...