International Journal of Sustainable Design
- Editor in Chief
- Dr. M.A. Dorgham
- ISSN online
- ISSN print
- 4 issues per year
Mass production, consumption, waste and various types of development in industrialised/urbanised/agrarian societies have a profound effect on the planet's living systems and vital resources. Design and innovation have the potential to regenerate the natural environment and community culture while enhancing the value of products/services to business, customers and society in general. To meet emerging scientific/technological challenges associated with sustainability, new design thinking, methods and tools are required. IJSDes addresses the development, promotion and coordination of the science/technology/practice of sustainable design.
Topics covered include
- Sustainable design strategies, approaches, innovation
- Systems design and system modelling
- Sustainability indicators in design, design for X
- Life cycle design, assessment (LCA), costing (LCC)
- Sustainable engineering product design and development
- User-centred design and mass customisation
- Design value chains, new design business models/methods/processes
- Virtual design and e-design
- Global versus local design, trans-disciplinary collaboration
- Design-centred research and practice-oriented research
- Design management, education, ethics, sustainability
- Design for sustainable manufacturing, construction, re-manufacturing
- Design of renewable/sustainable energy systems
- Materials selection, design optimisation
- Application case studies
IJSDes is a multidisciplinary journal that focuses on the theoretical and practical aspects of sustainable design. It aims to establish an effective channel of communication between design experts in academic and research institutions, professionals working in industry and related businesses, government agencies and policy-makers concerned with sustainability issues in design. The international dimension of the journal is emphasised in order to overcome cultural and national barriers and to meet the needs of accelerating technological and ecological change and changes in the global economy. In addition, the journal allows researchers, practitioners and decision-makers to monitor and identify design strategies, solutions and trends on a global scale.
IJSDes targets engineers, scientists, architects, industrial designers, design managers and other researchers and professionals working in design and product development with a particular involvement with, or interest in, sustainability issues. The subject matter covered in the journal is considered highly relevant to industry, academia and relevant government agencies.
IJSDes publishes original peer-reviewed papers covering state-of-the-art research and development, industrial and research based practice. In addition, the journal also features relevant review papers and technical reports, novel application case studies, conference reports, book reviews and commentaries. Special Issues devoted to important topics in sustainable design will occasionally be published. The journal is published four times each year and is supported by an international Editorial Board.
IJSDES is indexed in:
- CAB Abstracts - Human Sciences Abstracts
- cnpLINKer (CNPIEC)
- DAAI: Design and Applied Arts Index
- Google Scholar
- National Agency for Evaluation of the University and Research System (ANVUR)
- Australian Business Deans Council Journal Rankings List
IJSDES is listed in:
Editor in Chief
- Dorgham, M.A., International Centre for Technology and Management, UK
Editorial Board Members
- Charter, Martin, University College for the Creative Arts, UK
- Deal, Brian, University of Illinois, USA
- Duflou, Joost R., Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- Getzinger, Guenter, Klagenfurt University, Austria
- Glicksman, Leon R., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
- Hankammer, Stephan, Alanus University of Arts and Social Sciences, Germany
- Herrmann, Christoph, KERP Center of Excellence, Electronics and Environment, Austria and Technical University Braunschweig, Germany
- Jeswiet, Jack, Queen’s University, Canada
- Leal Filho, Walter, Hamburg University of Applied Sciences, Germany
- Lin, Zhongqin, Shanghai Jiaotong University, China
- Martinez Alier, Joan, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Spain
- McAloone, Tim, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark
- Minel, Stéphanie, ESTIA, France
- Nee, Andrew Yeh-Ching, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Nies, Loring, Purdue University, USA
- Pai, Jen-te Brian, National Chengchi University, Taiwan, Province of China
- Pierini, Marco, University of Firenze, Italy
- Piller, Frank T., RWTH Aachen University, Germany
- Sonnemann, Guido, United Nations Environment Programme, France
- Stevels, A.L.N., Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
- Su, Daizhong, The Nottingham Trent University, UK
- Umeda, Yasushi, University of Tokyo, Japan
- Van Wassenhove, Luk N., INSEAD, France
- Walker, Stuart, Lancaster University, UK
- Wimmer, Wolfgang, Institute for Engineering Design, Austria
A few essentials for publishing in this journal
- Submitted articles should not have been previously published or be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Conference papers may only be submitted if the paper has been completely re-written (more details available here) and the author has cleared any necessary permissions with the copyright owner if it has been previously copyrighted.
- Briefs and research notes are not published in this journal.
- All our articles go through a double-blind review process.
- All authors must declare they have read and agreed to the content of the submitted article. A full statement of our Ethical Guidelines for Authors (PDF) is available.
- There are no charges for publishing with Inderscience, unless you require your article to be Open Access (OA). You can find more information on OA here.
- All articles for this journal must be submitted using our online submissions system.
- View Author guidelines.