- Product sustainability assessment/evaluation
- Product design for sustainability, lifecycle issues
- Product design and manufacture for societal impact
- Environmentally conscious design/manufacturing processes
- Product design for disassembly, reuse, recovery, recycling, remanufacturing
- Manufacturability issues in sustainable product design
- Materials/energy/resource utilisation factors, waste minimisation/management
- Product functionality, serviceability, maintainability, upgradability
- End-of-life and product take-back issues
- Engineered innovative product/process designs for sustainability
- Zero- and near-zero landfill designs for manufacture
- Sustainable quality systems
- Cross-disciplinary and integrated manufacturing systems
- Legislative, cultural, societal and political issues
- Education/training of next generation workforce
More on this journal...
The major objectives of IJSM
are to establish an effective channel of communication between the academic community of design and manufacturing engineers, social scientists, business, management and marketing researchers, product manufacturers, and the government legislative and regulatory bodies. It also aims to promote and coordinate developments in innovative products, processes and systems for sustainability. The international perspective is emphasised in order to achieve solutions for the global needs for developing the foundations for the sustainable future with a view to sustaining the global economy and the environmental and ecological balance for societal benefits.Readership
IJSM provides a vehicle to help professionals, academics, researchers, product manufacturers and policy makers working in the fields of engineering, social sciences, business economics, marketing and management, to disseminate information and for mutual learning from each other’s work.Contents
- Original, full-length research papers
- Review papers
- Technical communications (work in progress)
- Case studies
- Book reviews
- Special issue papers (generally selected from a major conference or symposium and topic-based special issue with invited papers from prominent researchers)
- State-of-the-art analysis on hot topics by invited experts (in strategically significant areas of relevance)
Browse issuesVol. 2
IJSM is indexed in:
IJSM is listed in:
Editor in Chief
- Jawahir, I. S., University of Kentucky, USA
Regional Editor Australasia
- Kaebernick, Hartmut, University of New South Wales, Australia
Regional Editor Europe
- Duflou, Joost R., Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Regional Editor North and South America
- Sutherland, J.W., Michigan Technological University, USA
- Allada, Venkat, Missouri University of Science and Technology, USA
- Allwood, J., Cambridge University, UK
- Alting, Leo, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark
- Attia, Helmi, Aerospace Manufacturing Technology Centre, Canada
- Bras, B., Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- Gutowski, T., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- Hauschild, M., Technical University of Denmark, Denmark
- Hon, B., University of Liverpool, UK
- Jeswiet, Jack, Queen’s University, Canada
- Kara, Sami, University of New South Wales, Australia
- Kimura, Fumihiko, Hosei University, Japan
- Knight, W.A., University of Rhode Island, USA
- Micari, F., DTMPIG - University of Palermo, Italy
- Nasr, Nabil, Rochester Institute of Technology, USA
- Oliveira, Joao F.G., IPT - Instituto de Pesquisas Tecnológicas do Estado de SP, Brazil
- Outeiro, J. C., Portuguese Catholic University, Portugal
- Poulachon, Gérard, Arts et Métier ParisTech - ENSAM, France
- Roy, Rajkumar, Cranfield University, UK
- Seliger, Günther, Technical University of Berlin – IWF, Germany
- Skerlos, S., University of Michigan, USA
- Stevenson, Robin, General Motors R&D Center, USA
- Tichkiewitch, S., Grenoble Institute of Technology, France
- Ueda, K., University of Tokyo, Japan
- Zhang, Hong-Chao, Texas Tech University, USA
A few essentials for publishing in this journal
- Submitted articles should not have been previously published or be currently under consideration for publication elsewhere.
- Conference papers may only be submitted if the paper has been completely re-written (taken to mean more than 50%) and the author has cleared any necessary permissions with the copyright owner if it has been previously copyrighted.
- All our articles are refereed through a double-blind process.
- All authors must declare they have read and agreed to the content of the submitted article. A full statement of our Ethical Guidelines for Authors is available.
All articles for this journal must be submitted via email.
Read our Author Guidelines.
Meet all requirements listed in our Submissions Checklist.
Send one copy of your article via email to
Prof. I. S. Jawahir (jawahirengr.uky.edu).